Dr Harrie Hofstede
Dr. Hofstede has a degree in Environmental and Agricultural Engineering Science from the Netherlands and a PhD in Integrated Waste Management from Murdoch University, Australia.
- Bachelor of Engineering (Hons.) – Van Hall Institute for Environmental and Agricultural Sciences, Netherlands, 1983
- Doctor of Philosophy (Environmental Science) – Murdoch University, Western Australia, 1995
Dr Hofstede possesses extensive knowledge and experience in environmental engineering with particular expertise in solid organic waste management, recycling and pollution control. Dr Hofstede has 15 years experience in the waste management industry and until 2000, held a lecturing position in Waste Management and Pollution Control at the Institute for Environmental Science at Murdoch University, Western Australia.
Dr Hofstede possesses specialist skills in education and training in the environmental and waste management field. He also has extensive research, consulting and technology development experience and is currently the Technical Director of a waste technology provider and waste management consulting company based in Australia.
He has acted as a consultant to various recycling and waste disposal schemes and has successfully completed environmental and waste management projects for local government, State and Central government authorities, International Assistance and Development agencies, private waste management companies and the manufacturing industry.
Dr Hofstede's appointments include:
- Director, Spartel Pty Ltd (1995 - present)
- Principal, Hofstede & Associates (1995 - present)
- Project Manager and Lecturer, Environmental Management Training Course, Vietnam, AUSAID (1998-2001)
- Asian Pacific region representative for the Organic Recycling and Biological Treatment (ORBIT) Association (2001)
- Coordinator and Lecturer, Short Course on Waste Management (Industry Professional Development), Murdoch University (1997-99)
- Founding Member of WMAA in August 1991, and 12 years on the State Committee
- Founder and founding Director of WA Department of Industry and Resources
- Founding and continued member of AS 4454 Standards Australia working group on Standards for Organics
- Established the Lectureship in Waste Management & Pollution Control at Murdoch University, funded by the WA Department of Environment
- Chair, Western Australia State Organic Waste Recycling Committee
- Executive Committee Member, Waste Management Association of Australia
- Editorial Board Member, Australasian Journal of Pollution and Waste Management
- Pollution Control Consultant, East Java Government, Western Australian State Government
- Representative on Environment Panel of Chamber of Commerce and Industry